Saturday, February 12, 2011

Must BUY yarn

At the end of a very stressful week, I had an overwhelming urge to buy yarn. Forget drinks, forget going out dancing, forget chowing a tub of ice cream. I just wanted to buy yarn. Worsted weight, verigated for a hat or mittens. Nevermind that I have projects on the needles and more wool in the wings. I managed to resist, in part because by the time we finally got the kids to bed all the yarn shops were closed. I could have gone online, but I didn't want to wait for delivery. I also recognized at some level that what I really wanted was the burst of pleasure of buying yarn whether or not I "needed" it. Alas, that is a temporary thrill and then I'm left with yarn that I may or may not really want in the morning!

Instead, I picked up the long neglected never ending scarf that is being made in a "simple" feather and fan in a gently variegated fluffy mohair yarn my mom brought back from Scandinavia. Just four row to this pattern - 2 of them are knits and 1 in a purl so how the heck do I manage to mess up every tenth row or so!? The think about this scarf is that every four rows is about a half an inch and yet I've been knitting on it all winter and it seems that I am no closer to finishing it than when I started!

I also realized today as I am still feeling that "must by yarn" vibe that part of the problem is that the yarn and projects waiting in the wings are all in fingering weight. I do love, love, love fingering weight - good for shawls, good for socks, good for gloves. But it's the deep of winter here. It's cold. I'm cold. I want to wrap myself in thick luscious wools. Only, I've knit all the thick wools in my stash that I liked. I'm left with odd balls of yarn that don't really motivate me. deep sigh.

It will warm up again. These piles of snow grown dirty from the rain and road will melt. I will once again want to knit light. Meanwhile....maybe a stop at an lys isn't such a bad idea after all.

No comments: