Sunday, December 31, 2006

Humbled

I have been humbled. I smuggly polished off the hat for my dad, having fit it to his head and just as I was getting ready to hand it over, I saw (gasp) several places where I had knitted when I should have purled! It showed up on the inside of the double row rib knit. I could have just handed it over. He might never have noticed and would probably not care. I could feel the words forming, "Just don't show it to any knitters." But this was a problem I knew how to fix - fortunately or unfortunately. It required undoing the hat to below where I'd started the decreases and then purposely dropping a stitch down to the problem area and then using a crochet hook to pick the stitches up. Once or twice, it wouldn't have been so bad. But there was an entire row that I must have been paying more attention to my children than the knitting. The other option would have been undoing to below the problem stitches. I'm not sure that wouldn't have been faster, but I couldn't face the frog.

How could I have not noticed this earlier? Such a rookie mistake. I paid my penance and undid the hat, fixed the wronged stitches and reknitted the crown. Thankfully, dad loves the hat.

What would you have done?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great hat! We've all been to the Frog Pond!

SP