Monday, July 23, 2007

Sailing away



Yesterday my older children were upset with me because I was "making" them go sailing. Today they were bubbling about how much fun it is and how much they like it. My dh often says - and it is proved true over and over - that kids don't really know what they want. The challenge, I'm sure, will come as they get older and really do know what they want. How will I know the difference?
On the knitting front, the knitting muses are having a good laugh at me. I was frantically trying to finish a baby sweater using the Mason Dixon pattern, which I've done before. I read the pattern several times - really I did - so when things didn't work out the way they should have I figured it was just a misalignment and I "cleverly" added a few stitches in some spots to make it come out right. I was very proud of knowing how to add stitches and make it "come out right." Of course we all know what pride comes before... After I finished the left front and started on the right front I figured out that although I'd read the pattern, I missed a crucial line and hadn't started increasing when I should have.
Perhaps I should have gone back there and started the front over. But I was in a hurry so I just made the other side with the same fudges as the first one. Now that I'm "done" I'm not so sure this was wise. The pattern sort of looks like it's supposed to, but I'm not sure that it will actually stay on the baby Unfortunately, the baby is hundreds of miles away so I can't check it. Maybe I'll try to crochet around the edge to fix it. Maybe I'll just start over. It doesn't reallytake .that long . I know babies grow fast, but not that fast..

No comments: