Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day



I hope all you mothers and daughters enjoyed Mother's Day. The highlight of mine was taking my kids out for ice cream and playing in the park. It was much better than a crowded restaurant. The big kids played football with dad while the little ones ran around on the jungle gymn. There were some low lights too, but I don't want to remember those.

As an early Mother's Day present, my dh took all of the kids out of the house so I could have time alone - knitting, reading, catching up on a tv show. I opted to organize the attic and get the kids summer clothes out. It's not fun, it's not glamorous and I can't believe it's something I chose to do with my precious time off. But the reality is that our life will run better if it gets done. I have decided, after spending an entire day and a half on the project, that organizing my house is like pouring water into a bucket with a hole in the bottom!

My own momma is far too far away for me to celebrate with her in person. (She lives in the wild woods of Wisconsin) But though she's not here, she is not forgotten. I made for her a beret to replace the one I made her that she lost. We picked out the yarn together when she was here - Debbie Bliss angora silk. Though she gets the hat, I think I got the better end of the deal being able to knit with this exquisite yarn. It is soft with just the right amount of elasticity. The whole thing came together with little angst, few tinks and no major frogging. Not only that, it fits well. Mom said she wore it all day, even though it wasn't really that cold out. She said she got more than a few sideways glances. We'll choose to believe they were admiring a fine piece of knitting. Having learned from my swaps, I packed the hat with goodies - sunscreen, lipstick and her favorite gum.





Watson's Mother's Day present to me was being an "enthusiastic model."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having spent my Mother's Day in the wild woods of Wisconsin...I wish I had a hat. It wasn't warm for sure. Glad you had a good Mother's Day even if it included time in the attic. But just think how cute they look in all that summer stuff!

Janice said...

Sounds like you had a nice Mother's Day! And time at home alone... how wonderful! (and hard to come by!!) I think us moms have a hard time really just spending that kind of time 'relaxing'... I probably would have cleaned/organized as well. (but with the music blaring and eating junk food!) Love your mom's beret!