This is the cursed sweater. It turns out the back I have won't work because there is shaping for the armhole that is not included on the front of the pattern I now have in hand.
Here's the lessons I have learned so far:
1. Don't let a project languish for months.
2. If you are going to let a project languish for months, make meticulous notes to leave with it.
3. Mixing patterns is a bad idea unless you have a lot more experience than do I.
4. Sometimes it really is more productive to just frog it.
5. Make a photo copy of the pattern (which is legal) then when the book inevitably gets lost, you're not stuck.