Monday, January 14, 2008

Snow Day




When the schools call on a warm, sunny Sunday afternoon to say that they're cancelling classes on Monday, you better get ready - something major is headed your way. The storm lasted less time than initially forecast and left less snow in it's wake, but it was coming down pretty hard right when everyone would have been headed out for the morning commute. At least we got a respite between the last storm and this one so there was some place for the snow to go. Living in the city, that is always an issue. It can really pile up by Spring.


I have still managed to avoid casting on for yet another project, but I am drooling over patterns. Why can't I just pick out something simple? Why must I fall in love with complex projects that will take far, far longer than I expect? I'm dreaming of Interweave's Koolhaas hat - it looks simple enough - knitted diamonds against a purl background. Those diamonds are cables (cabling veterans probably knew that from looking at the pattern - I'm still a newbie to the artform) and the diamonds aren't simple purl. Never mind that the pattern calls for Yak yarn, which although I really do want to work with I don't have on hand. I think I'm perfectly capable of making the hat. I understand all the words in the pattern, although that's not always enough. But I'm fairly certain this won't be a quick-hit. Why not a simple, roll-brimmed hat? Why not an easy double ribbed hat? I suppose because I can buy that at the store for less than the cost of the wool to make it. If I'm going to knit, why not knit something special, even if it does take 15 times as long? (give or take some frogging). Regardless, MUST finish scarf first. After all, it took me all of Saturday's knitting time to make just one repeat of a complicated lace pattern. At least having knit it three times, I now understand it.


Photo credit goes to Ruby, my lovely 8th grader with a brand new Christmas camera.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was thinking about you yesterday when I saw that Boston was going to get slammed with snow! My in-laws are travelling to Florida on Wednesday - they can't wait to get out! And my mind keeps travelling to that Koolhaas hat too . . .

Holly Jo said...

Zow. They called before the storm hit? That is crazy. Photos are beautiful.

In Anchorage, we have huge lots dedicated to dumping snow from various places around town. A luxury I am sure Boston cannot afford since it is an older city.

Allison said...

I want to make that too. In fact so much so that when I saw the pattern on-line I bought it. Only to find out I already OWN the magazine it's found in! Now I'll have to make two!!

Janice said...

I LOVE snow days! I especially loved them when the kids were still home. An excuse to curl up and play games and enjoy being warm inside.