Monday, October 02, 2006

Secret Pal questions answered

1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I've been doing a lot of felting lately so I like anything that is feltable. Other than that, I knit dish cloths so I like all cotton. And, I like very soft yarns. I tend to shy away from extreme eyelash/novelty yarns although I have tried a few. Mostly, I like to try different kinds of yarns so I know what they're like. I tend toward verigated yarns because I like the effect.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? bags, drawers, purses, vases, boxes, countertops - they're pretty much all over and everywhere.

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I started knitting about four years ago, aroung the time my fourth child arrived. I taught myself from a book and then took lessons. I taught myself to crochet a couple of years ago. I'd like to think I'm advanced knitter, but I'm more likely a solid intermediate given all there is to know about knitting.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? no

5. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products, etc.)I like lavender and other florals.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I like good chocolate, but I'm not a big sweet eater.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I don't spin yet. I sew quite a bit. I also do a bit of beading - making necklases and earrings. I do fair amount of coloring and paper crafts as well, spending a lot of time these days with a 4yo and 1yo. I also like to garden, bike, hike, ski (downhill) take pictures and write.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)I like the Blues, Jazz and top 40.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I tend toward burgundy, brown and blues and pinks. I'm not much for bright colors or green, although I do like sage.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I am married and have five children, ranging in age from 1 to 13 (14 in December). We have an English Springer Spaniel and a gold fish. I recently left a full-time job as a reporter to work from home writing.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I wear hats, gloves, scarves and mittens but not ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? Lately I've been interested in making felted totes but I enjoy making a lot of different things. I've recently been making dish cloths because they are quick and a good opportunity to try different techniques and stitches. I've made some toys to keep the kids entertained. I generally lean toward quick projects because I don't have a lot of time to knit and I need things that I can finish before I lose interest. I have made one sweater for myself and a few for babies. I have the yarn to make two more for myself, but haven't been able to settle on a pattern.

13. What are you knitting right now? I just finished a hat and a small purse for the 4 year old. On sticks I have a small purse that I'm making as a thank you. I have the yarn for a felted tote. I am also finishing a sweater for the baby and a doll for the 4 yo.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? yes

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I generally prefer circular because you can't lose one in transit. I like different kinds depending on the yarn. My favorite are my Denise needles.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Not yet

17. How old is your oldest UFO? 16 months old - that's the doll for the 4 yo. I started it before the baby was born.

18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas as an opportunity to give gifts. Labor Day and Memorial Day as an opportunity to have an extra day off to spend with my kids.

19. Is there anything that you collect? We don't have a lot of room knick knacks but I do have some vintage knitting and sewing tools. I also collect buttons and beads for my various projects.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don't subscribe to any knitting magazines, although I do like to pick them up from time to time. I especially enjoy those from Australia. I like books about knitting as well as those with patterns. I've been enjoying the One Skein, the Mason Dixon Book and the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Rules.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I should learn how to knit cables. I don't think it's too hard, but I keep putting it off. I like to try new things just for the challenge of it.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? I'm not a sock knitter yet. My foot is a size 7.5

23. When is your birthday? (mm/dd)06/24

No comments: