Friday, February 22, 2008

knitting addiction

We're going skiing this weekend. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. And it's snowing - what could be better. We used to go skiing alot - that was before five kids. We didn't go at all last year. So I should have been dragging out the skis and wiping off the cobwebs, going through the bags to find out if there are any goggles that haven't disintegrated and looking over the neck gaters to make sure mice haven't nested in them. Instead I became obssessed with making mittens out of the leftover yarn from my hat! It's like an something took over my brain: must knit mittens. My Dh was running around doing all the aforementioned preparations and I was running around ducking into the closet with knitting books searching for a pattern. "What? I'm looking for the toddler's snow suit," I said when husband inquired why I was carrying around a flashlight.

I didn't really expect to finish the mittens last night, but still I was disappointed when it was time for bed and I was still four inches shy of the top of the first one. If it were just me, I probably would have stayed up to finish. But I am the mom and the kids will get up in the AM whether or not I've been up all night. So I relucantly packed it all up. I'll have a long drive during which I can pick it up again.

I like that mittens knit up fast but I'm not real keen on the whole thumb thing. I have problems with not getting holes on the m1s for the gussets. I'm also not sure my gussets are long enough. I think, however, with a little bit of practice mittens could become a great go-to project for a quick knitting fix. Please feel free to send along your favorite pattern.

I do plan to tackle gloves soon - I'm trying clear up some of my other more complicated patterns first.

I have looked up the yarn shops in the Killington area - I'm going up to ski and there's a bunch of us so I don't have confidence that yarn shopping will happen, but I want to be prepared just in case.

No comments: