Friday, December 14, 2007

The Celia Nash Memorial Cookie Baking Day



Tomorrow is the Big Cookie Baking day - the day I'm hoping may family and friends across the country will head to their kitchens with their friends and family to bake up batches of cookies to share. Join us if you've got an oven and some time (or buy some cookies to share) in worldwide celebration of the love that connects us all through the generations and across the miles.

I've named the day in honor of my grandmother, Celia Nash, who was the best cookie maker and one of the most loving people I've ever met. She passed away a number of years ago, but when I bake, I feel a connection to her. I know there are others who've had people like that in their lives - hopefully this day will be a way of reconnecting and enjoying the holidays in a special way.

On another note, we got socked with snow last night - so much so that everyone is still digging out. As a result, the start of school was delayed for two hours. With a little bit of extra time on our hands and a need to entertain and feed the children, I came up with a new pancake recipe. This could be adapted for use with a mix - just use the mix instead of all the dry ingredients.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup of milk (more if needed)
One flavored instant oatmeal packet (We used Maple and Brown Sugar. You could add 2 for a stronger flavor, but then omit sugar)
1 egg
1 cup of flower
1 tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Butter for cooking

Instructions:
Heat milk and add instant oatmeal. Let sit for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients. If the mix is too thick, add some more milk.

Coat pan with butter and heat. Pour a spoonful of pancake mix into pan. Let sit until bubbly, turn and cook other side.

It was so good, I ate it without syrup. Now I'm ready to go get more instant oatmeal to try out some of the other flavors.

No comments: