Monday, March 26, 2007

Cables

In my early years of skiing, I would look at the steep, bumped up double black diamonds and think anyone who would dare to jump off the side of the mountain like that was certainly daft. It didn't take long before I had become daft and was tackling the steeps with glee.

When I first started to knit, I was thrilled just to have mastered a knit and purl stitch. I'd look at complicated patterns and just shake my head. Far more challenging than I'd ever be interested in, I thought. But as with skiing, one things leads to another and now I'm hankering to try cables. It's not that I particularly like the look of them so much as I want to figure out how to do them.

I'm planning to make one of those cute little cabled purses. I have some beautiful speckled purple yarn and I've picked up a free pattern from knit picks. So, to anyone who has cable experience - any hints/tips/advice?

4 comments:

Lori said...

I did a cabled scarf for my International Scarf Exchange pal, and boy, I felt like I'd mastered cables by the end of that! Grumperina has a good tutorial about cabling without a cable-needle that I found helpful.

Danielle said...

I second that! Definitely learn to cable w/o a cable needle. It saves so much time!

Jknits said...

Thank you for that - it will be very helpful. I'm glad I paid just $3 for the now unnecessary cable needles! Maybe I could use them as shawl pins.

Melissa Perreault said...

Hehe, I'm still on the bunny slope of knitting. Cables are still a little scary but I want to try. I'll watch you!! After I try magic loop and so many other things out there!