Saturday, March 03, 2007

SP10 questions answered

Here are the answers for the Secret Pal 10:


1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I prefer natural fibers. I like yarns that are soft. I felt a lot so I lean toward wools that aren’t superwash. But really, I like most natural yarns and I like to try different kinds. I generally don’t like fun fur and similar novelty yarns.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? I have a couple of different cases and a few vases. They’re also in drawers and pencil holders. (They seem to end up scattered about)

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?

I taught myself to knit about four years ago. I understand enough to be an intermediate to advanced knitter. But in practice, I am an advanced novice to solid intermediate. I have so much more to learn.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes. It’s under jjhpowell@uwalumn.com

5. What's your favorite scent? Lavender followed by rose6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I like chocolate but I’m not a big sweets eater. I adore coffee.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? I was a sewer before I became a knitter. I can crochet, although I tend to prefer knitting. I take lots of pictures. I also make beaded jewelry from time to time. I have been given a drop spindle so I’m planning to learn how to use it.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like Blues and jazz. We listen to the “World Zone” satellite channel a lot – which is a mix of music from all over.

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand? I tend toward earth tones, browns, pinks and blues. I lean more toward pastels than brights.

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? I have one husband and five children, age 1-14. We have one English Springer Spaniel and 3 goldfish.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Yes on scarves, hats and mittens. No ponchos.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I tend toward small projects so I don’t lose interest. I’ve tried just about everything – scarves, hats, sweaters, dish cloths, even teddy bears. I like to knit felted totes because I find them to be so useful. I’m going to try socks any day now.

13. What are you knitting right now? I’m working on a tote for an exchange and felted mittens for my 4yo (by request). I’m contemplating making a baby gift of some sort and a sweater for myself.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes.

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? I use a mix – primarily my Denise interchangeables. I like bamboo for some things and metal for others.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Yes to both.17. How old is your oldest UFO?It’s 1.7 years old – a doll I started for my now 4yo when her baby sister was on the way. We both lost interest in it.


18. What is your favorite holiday? Christmas because of the emphasis on family and world peace. Easter because it’s the celebration of a risen savior.

19. Is there anything that you collect? Aside from yarn and books about knitting? I collect pens – I’m a writer and I’m always looking for good ones or interesting ones. I have an odd penchant for the novelty pens one finds at tourist stops with things that float from one end to the other.

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I don’t have any subscriptions, but I do love to read knitting magazines.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? I’m planning on learning how to knit socks and I’m toying with the idea of knitting something lacy. I love some of the shawls I’ve seen, but I’m not sure I’d actually use one. I may try a lacy sweater instead.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Not yet. My foot is a 7.
When is your birthday? June 24

No comments: