Monday, April 16, 2007

More time less wool?

I wonder if I actually had more time to knit if I would buy less yarn? I think sometimes I buy it because it's the easiest step in making a project that I can complete given my time and parenting constraints. I might buy fewer knitting magazines and books too, but I doubt it.

DH left at 4 a.m. this AM. Of course we didn't get to bed until late given all the last minute packing and planning. And of course there was a raging storm that kept waking up the baby with a nasty head cold, the 4 yo and the dog and consequently us. It was quite an auspicious beginning.

All in all, however, the day was rather impressively undramatic.

The day care was closed but then my meeting got cancelled. The big kids started complaining about being bored even before breakfast, but they agreed only somewhat begrudgingly to entertain the little ones in exchange for computer time. I had to run into Boston to pick up my eldest, but my son cooked supper. We even managed to walk down to see the waves left over from the incredible storm. They were quite impressive even to the 4 yo who really wasn't happy about having to walk for several blocks in the (light) rain.

In the few down moments of the day, I shopped on line for yarn. There was no time to cast on, no time to sew up seams, no chance to pull out a WIP, but shopping on line I can manage. No dropped stitches, no need to concentrate to the exclusion of keeping an eye on the kids...I didn't, however, buy anything.... yet. Webbs (yarn.com) has an incredible anniversary sale ...

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I just might have to check out that sale! It sounds like you had a good day, all things considered...

Janice said...

Yes, shopping for yarn is still a knitting experience without some of the concentration or occasional headaches (i.e. frogging, tinking etc..) Hope your time as a 'single parent' goes well....